Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Is That All?

In reading the paper today expecting to find a wealth of issues to post about, I came to realize something. Does nothing happen here? The local paper is filled with warm lighthearted advertisements but no real news. Editorials yes, news... not really. I find it interesting as a former and sometimes current news person myself that the folks over at monticellolive.com, seem to have a better handle on reporting news than the local news media. They had the swimming pool discussion days ago, a great story about Mr. Rosegrant, and news from UAM as well. The local paper....not so much. Now normally I do not purchase a newspaper I just read through the copy that my dad leaves out in his store for "folks". Now I know why. Heck even their headlines are more attention grabbing, "Pool Issue Makes Waves". Now that grabs you from the word go, you can tell that's going to be a page turner. Now I doubt that monticellolive has many if any "reporters" on the staff, but that doesn't stop them from reporting. Do I really care who got found guilty of what in the last few weeks? Unless its a murderer, rapist, or other infamous criminal...not really. If you notice from the newspaper anyway we are living in the land of the suspended sentence. Old "so and so" was found guilty of manufacturing methamphetamine they received a suspended sentence, a slap on the wrist, and a fine they will never pay unless they go back to making and selling methamphetamine. It is as if the judges are telling the criminals "stop.........or I'll say stop again". Oh, by the way, the " gossip" on the street is that the city is looking in to or already has acquired the old Ridgeway Hotel in the hopes of making it into city offices. I guess they will be moving their offices from the newly renovated W.C. Whaley school complex......they did move in there after they bought it----------right???

No comments: