Thursday, May 31, 2007

We Are Not Alone

After reading the article on monticello live, it seems to me that we who want information before making decisions are not alone. I just had a thought. Instead of spending ten million on a community center, let's spend 3 million on a community center and seven million on new facilities for our police and fire departments. Does that make sense to anyone else? Or, better yet, lets spend 5 million on new facilities for our police and fire departments, a couple of million turning the W.C. Whaley property into a public park and call it a day. I am a long time monticello resident, and I cannot see the need for a community center. Someone made a statement to me today that in summary says that kids in this town need something to do. I agree, the question is will they use this facility? Will there parents be willing to bring them there, pay the fee on the chance that they may not use it, or, will this be a community center for those within walking distance. Now as far as the police and fire department facilities go I have some experience in this area. My father was a firefighter here for many years, and a police officer for many more. I used to stay at the fire station with him on the weekends when he would be on call. It needed to be condemned then, and that was twenty or more years ago. I cannot forsee that the conditions have gotten any better. Common sense is being reborn by all evidence, now it is time to take the next step. What is the next step you ask? We will talk more about that later.

No comments: