Sunday, February 25, 2007

I Just Don't Understand

I just left a comment on a post at monticellolive, and I have just got to say this. Have we come so dependent on whatever government we choose to believe is in control around here that we can not even prepare to save our own skins. Now I don't know much about anything, just ask anyone, but I do know that self-preservation is right up their on my "to-do" list. A comment was posted wondering why we do not have a warning system in Monticello for tornadoes. Now I do not know what happened to the siren that we used to have. I admit that, but this is a brave new world. For very little money you can purchase a small device that will scream "get under your house" if a storm is coming. I have one, you should too. Now my reason for having one is less desperate. Storms don't bother me. If you look in the top right corner you will see that. I do however remember the day when a tornado dropped a house on my sister........."insert vague Wizard of Oz what the heck is he talking about reference here--------->. Thanks by the way to the folks at Dad's Place for great coffee and company on Saturday. I really enjoyed it. Now back to what I was saying, it is not the responsibility of the fire department to provide you with fire extinguishers and smoke alarms, even though they do sometimes, and it is not their responsibility to change the battery for you every thirty days. You must......no let me rephrase......it is your responsibility as a citizen to take responsibility for yourself now and then. You will change the oil in your car, that costs more than one of these devices. You will go out to eat, that costs more, of course so does a gallon or two of gas these days. Some say if God wants me he will get me no matter what precaution I take. To you I leave this:

A man was caught in a flood. As the water got up to his porch a man came by in a boat and asked him to come with him. The trapped man said "the Lord will save me"
As the water got to the edge of the roof another boat came and once again the man said "the Lord will save me"
Soon the water was above the roof and the man was barely hanging on, a helicopter hovered overhead and the man screamed "THE LORD WILL SAVE ME"
After drowning the man went to heaven and asked the Lord why he didn't save him and the Lord said "I sent two boats and a helicopter"

In other words........well, you know the rest.

No comments: